Mumbai Indians were always playing with a bowler short and that’s the main reason which cost them the game. Nonetheless, Pune Supergiant ended their long drought of not winning any matches at the home ground and registered their first win of the season with a ball to spare. Dinda must be a relieved man now.
Hardik Pandya‘s last over the onslaught of 30 runs against Ashok Dinda set the target for Pune Supergiant of 185, fine knocks from Rahane and Smith won the game at the end. Smith was at his very best and scored 84 runs to sail his team to shore. At one time 10 runs were needed off 3 balls but two consecutive sixes by Captain Smith sealed the victory for the Supergiant in IPL 2017 second match.
* Playing one less proper bowler was their main reason for defeat. Apart from Southee, Mcleangan, and Bumrah, there were no proper core bowlers.
* Playing with no spinner in spin-friendly pitches of India.
* Failure of middle order with Rohit Sharma and Ambati Rayudu falling cheaply.
* the Opening pair of Butler and Parthiv Patel gave them the needed start but they need to build on the starts.
* Nitish Rana and Keiron Pollard were good with bats but failed to continue their good work.
* Bumrah though went wicketless was impressive with the ball.
* Hardik Pandya’s last over heroics and chipping with wicket was the major positive for Mumbai Indians team.
Rising Pune Supergiants:
* Bowling of Dinda in the last over was the major area of concern for Pune and it would have cost them the game.
* Mayank Agarwal failure at the top of the order was another slight thing to taken care of.
*Death bowling was the weak link of the team.
* Ajinkya Rahane sublime form with the bat is a good sign for the Season.
* Their batting were impressive and there were lots of partnership which made it easier for the Pune team to reach out the target.
* Ben Stokes day was on the average a good day for the game.
* The two spinners Tahir and Zampa, especially Tahir was impressive with the ball and chipped in with wickets. Faf will have to wait for a little longer to make it to the squad.
* The main game changer of the was Steven Smith the captain himself. He was in a beast mode and scored 84 runs.
Conclusion: At last Pune, Supergiant was able to win a match at their home ground. The form in which Steven Smith currently is was the standout performance of the day. Though Hardik Pandya’s last over cameo was a treat to watch.
Brief scores: MI 184/8 (20 overs) Butler 38, Pandya* 35 Tahir 28/3 Bhatia 14/2
Pune 187/3 (19.5 overs) Smith* 84 Rahane 60 Southee 34/1 Pandya 34/1
Result: Rising Pune Supergiant won by 7 wickets and a ball to spare.